Fried Breadcrumbs with Ham and Pepers
Migas -fried breadcrumbs- are
a popular supper or snack at any time of the day, usually served with a fried
red chorizo sausage, or with fried eggs with paprika and a little vinegar
dribbled over them. This version includes some extras and can be used to stuff a
chicken for roasting. Good bread and plenty of fat will produce greaseless
- Serves 4
- Difficulty: easy
- Preparation time: 20 minutes plus at least 1 hour to prepare the bread.
- 4 thick slices stale country bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised
- 4 tablespoons diced raw ham, bacon or gammon
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and diced
Remove the crusts and cube the bread. Sprinkle with water, season
with salt and pepper and wrap in a tea towel for at least an hour (traditionally
Heat the bacon fat and oil with the garlic cloves. When it smokes,
discard the garlic and gry the ham, bacon or gammon and pepper.
When they are done, remove them and add the cubes of bread. Cook
these for 12-15 minutes, moving them constantly. When crisp, return the
ham, pepper and season.