This dish is a modern adaptation of Malaga's Ajo Blanco (white almond soup). Unlike the ajo blanco, however, this version omits the almonds and relies on sour cream and yogurt for its unmistakable creamy texture. Almonds are reserved for a crisp garnish.
- Serves: 6
- Preparation time: 15 min. plus chilling time
- Difficulty: easy
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz) sour cream
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz) plain yogurt
- 1 cup (8 fl. oz) chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- Slivered almonds
- Seedles green grapes, halved
In two batches, purée all the ingredients except for the almonds and grapes in a food processor. Combine both batches in a large bowl and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Immediately before serving, garnish individual servings with the slivered almonds and grapes.
Valdelainos Verdejo 2011
90 Points - [Refers to 2010 vintage] - “Green-tinged gold. Bracing aromas of grapefruit, lime zest and herbs, plus a whiff of mustard seed. Juicy and firm but not hard, showing very good intensity to its citrus, herb and anise flavors. Taut, uncompromising and precise white wine with a dusty, long, herb-accented finish.” -Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar.Find out more